Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gladys

Ever since Cade was a baby he has HATED getting his head, ears, and eyes wet. Every night it is a fight to wash his face and hair. He cries and whines and carries on like I am pouring water with spikes in it over him. Well, Tyler was the same way and so his mom invented Gladys. She is a little lady that lives in his ear and talks to him. She tells him about adventures she has gone on, and she needs water for things, which is why we have to wash his hair because, well, Gladys needs it for one reason or another. Well, Gladys lives on. Tyler started telling Cade about Gladys probably a year ago. We have watered Gladys' flowers, helped her fill up her swimming pools (they are all red you know), washed her laundry, and even made chicken nugget and pizza soup (who knew there was such a thing?). One night Gladys even joined us for family prayer, which we had to stop in the middle to wait for Gladys to fold her arms. Last night when Cade was in the tub I heard him talking. He was carriying on quite a conversation. I though maybe Tyler was in the bathroom with him, but realized he was talking to himself. Or so I thought. When I listened closer, I realized he was talking to Gladys. He was telling her what he had done that day, and then he asked her about her day and asked if she wanted to have Home Evening. Tyler went in to check on him and he said, "Dad, Gladys wants to have home evening with us too!" He was so excited! I laughed so hard! Every night he askes, "Mom, will you ask Gladys what she needs water for tonight?" It sounds a little bizzare, but hey, he does not complain about washing his hair anymore. He even looks forward to it because we are helping Gladys out. Whatever works! I just hope he doesn't go to school talking to the little lady who lives in his ear!

9 comments:

B and J said...

Like father like son! We love Caders!

Angie said...

Ha Ha! Only Caders would want a RED swimming pool!! Tayler always stops and waits for Macie to fold her arms, so I thought it was hilarious you had to wait for Gladys to fold her arms. Oh, Caders. He's the greatest!!

Sarah said...

That was hilarious! So cute--and very creative. Kudos to Tyler's mom for creating Gladys. I can just see little toddler-Tyler believing he has an old woman living in his ears! Maybe he races just to please her! Maybe she whispers strategies and advice as he is zipping along through the waves! ha ha ha ha ha ha. I'm not going to stop laughing at that one for a while. Sorry, guys!

(Not to de-emphasize how cute that little boy of yours is, of course!)

Jessica said...

I love that idea! I'm going to have to come up with something like that for Den'ja.

Steph said...

Oh my goodness, I love it!! You guys are so creative, what a spectacular idea!! I hope I can be as good of a mom as you :)

LeLe said...

LOL! I love it! I really am gonna try this one with m'boys. Too bad you couldn't have caught the bathtub conversation on video. That would be awesome to show his future spouse when he's all grown up, tee hee. I'm sure it will get re-told then anyway. :) What a cute lil' man Caders is!

lhhadley said...

Such a cute story...love it.

A Erickson said...

That is the greatest thing I've ever heard! Man the things it takes to get kids to cooperate some times...that is about the cutest idea I've heard yet.

Gee said...

Hi, my name is Gladys. I was doing a bit of research on my name and came across your site. Oh my Gosh, what a sweet story. You have a beautiful family.

God Bless You.

Gladys :D