Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Midnight Visitor

The other night, Abby woke up to eat about 4:30 in the morning. I drug my sleepy eyes and body to the couch in the living room and started to feed her. I was dozing off, when suddenly I heard a big loud noise in the basement! It wasn't just a normal creek of the house or something like that, it was a legitimate noise! I wondered for a second if I had really heard something and then it happened again and again! My heart started racing because I knew somebody was in our basement! I debated grabbing the kids and running to our neighbors house, but I ran into our room and woke Tyler up. He jumped out of bed and came to the top of the stairs. Once he heard the sounds he ran down the basement stairs (armed only with his big biceps and clenched fists). I seriously have never been so scared in my entire life! He flipped on all the lights and looked around. He found something all right but it wasn't a person. A skunk had fallen into our window well and was flipping rocks at our window trying to dig his way out!


I cried for about ten minutes in relief, and then it took me a good half hour or so to fall back to sleep! We didn't want the dumb thing to spray our house, so Tyler put a board down so he could crawl out. He was still there the next day and had clawed the board trying to get up it, so Tyler built him a ladder so he could crawl out! Thank goodness he didn't spray our house! Hopefully he learned his lesson and stays away!

3 comments:

The Hardy's said...

Wow, that is the craziest story. I think I would have freaked out! Your lucky Tyler's so handy to build such an awesome escape route for that stinky critter!

Josie said...

I am feeling your horror right now. There is nothing worse than waking up to a strange sound in your house. I can only imagine your relief when you found out it was a skunk. Sounds funny! Glad you got rid of him without him spraying.

Sarah said...

TOO horrific and yet so hilarious! Tyler, you ROCK! We'll be sure to call you if we find ourselves in a similar predicament and in need of a small animal ladder. ha ha!